In modern diesel engines, there’s a lot of activity from the moment you throw the ignition. Liquids are pumped. Gases are injected. Wires carry electrical signals. It’s a symphony of technological brilliance that’s held together, in large part, by the head gasket. In a diesel engine, the head gasket ensures that all of the various liquids and gases stay where they’re meant to be instead of escaping and causing trouble in your engine.
When a head gasket fails, it won’t break in one dramatic gesture. It will bend and crack, its ability eroding over time. You might not even realize you’ve blown a head gasket right away. Neglecting one can lead to severe engine damage and require extensive diesel engine repair in Corpus Christi, TX. That’s why it’s so important to make sure that you stay vigilant for signs that you’ve blown a head gasket:
- Leaking coolant: One of the first things that can go wrong when a head gasket fails is a coolant leak. Coolant will form at the place where the engine block and the cylinder head come together.
- Your engine overheats quickly: If a coolant leak slips your attention for too long, your diesel will begin to overheat rapidly as coolant leaks out into your engine. If you find that your engine is either not starting or shutting off soon after it’s started, you might have a blown head gasket.
- White coating on the oil cap: Have you noticed a milky-white residue forming on your oil cap or dipstick? It could indicate that the coolant is leaking into your oil pan. In addition to a blown head gasket, this could also suggest that you need serious diesel engine repair in Corpus Christi, TX.
- Diminished fuel economy: As your diesel engine deteriorates, you’ll find that you need to fill up on fuel more often. You might also find that your engine fails to put out as much power as it once did.
- White smoke or steam exhaust: If you find that your exhaust is emitting sweet-smelling steam, thick, white smoke or even blue smoke, then you could have a blown head gasket.
- Clean spark plugs: If you find that one or more of your spark plugs are cleaner than the rest, it could indicate that coolant has leaked into that chamber.
Your diesel engine pros
If you’re worried that you might have a blown head gasket, bring your vehicle to the most accomplished experts in diesel engine repair in Corpus Christi, TX: Coastal Diesel Injection. We have years of experience servicing all manner of diesel engines in the automotive, industrial, trucking, marine and agricultural industries.
Our team of assembled experts can diagnose and repair a variety of diesel issues—all you have to do is give us a call. From minor work like alignments and oil changes to major work like complete engine rebuilds, our qualified team is here to help with a mixture of first-rate customer service and unparalleled know-how. Give us a call to schedule an appointment. You won’t regret it!
Categorised in: Diesel Engine Repair