While diesel engines used to largely be reserved for heavy-duty trucks and machinery, there are many other types of vehicles and equipment that now benefit from diesel engines, including some light-duty trucks with diesel engine options. You’ll find that Ford, Chevy and Dodge are all among the many major automakers that offer diesel-powered options with some of their most popular pickups, for example.
Diesel is still more popular in Europe than in the United States, despite these new options. About 45 percent of buyers in Western Europe opt for diesel-powered vehicles, compared to just 5 percent of the American market. However, as the advantages of diesel vehicles become more well-known here in the United States, there’s a good chance we’ll see the market share of diesel vehicles spike.
Here are just a few examples from our diesel performance shop in Corpus Christi, TX of some of the advantages diesel engines offer over gas engines:
- Efficiency: Diesel engines are much more efficient by nature than gasoline engines, thanks to their compression ignition system. Diesel engines don’t have spark plugs; instead, they use more compression to heat up the air. This means the engine runs at a hotter temperature than gas-powered motors, but as a result, diesel engines produce more energy while requiring less fuel. This leads to significantly improved gas mileage, which is both better for the environment in the long run and also more convenient if you intend to be out on the road for long periods of time.
- Torque: Because diesel engines produce much more energy than gasoline, they are also capable of producing much more torque. This is ideal if you intend to haul heavy loads or tow a trailer. So, if you use your vehicle for jobs that require some hauling, diesel engines are going to give you that extra power you need.
- Durability: Diesel engines frequently last longer than gasoline engines, primarily because they’ve been designed to operate at and withstand higher temperatures. So long as you stick to your routine maintenance schedule with your vehicle and don’t put off any major repairs as they arise, you should be able to keep using your diesel-powered engine longer than you would its standard gas counterpart.
- Resale: The durability and long-lasting nature of diesel engines also offers them much greater resale value. If the time comes that you’re looking to sell your vehicle and purchase a replacement, you’ll be able to get more money back with a diesel-powered vehicle than a gas-powered vehicle with the same mileage and in comparable condition.
- Cleanliness: Diesel vehicles that are on the newer side are subject to stricter EPA guidelines, which include more stringent clean fuel standards. Diesel was once extremely dirty and smelly, but the fuel has become cleaner than ever before thanks to the proliferation of ultra-low sulfur diesel.
For more information about some of the biggest advantages of diesel engines, contact the team at Coastal Diesel Injection or pay a visit to our diesel performance shop in Corpus Christi, TX today.