The exhaust system is an important part of your vehicle, removing the harmful gases your engine produces. It can also control the noise, improve your fuel economy and boost your engine performance. The more efficiently the gases escape, the better performance you’ll see. Most manufacturers have to decide where they want to make tradeoffs in order to keep their vehicles affordable, so you might not be getting as much performance from your stock components as you could if you replaced them. That’s why many people choose to install an aftermarket exhaust system in Corpus Christi, TX.
Why choose an aftermarket exhaust system?
Here’s a closer look at some of the big reasons drivers opt to invest in an aftermarket exhaust system:
- Control the noise: Depending on your goals, you might want to muffle more of your engine noise. Although some folks love powerful, loud engines, not everyone wants to announce their presence to the entire neighborhood when pulling into the garage. Aftermarket exhaust systems can dramatically improve the noise control.
- Boost your engine performance: Aftermarket exhaust systems reduce the amount of back pressure in your exhaust, which can give you several more horsepower. It’s not quite as much as you’d see if you installed a turbocharger, but it will definitely improve your engine’s performance and power. That’s because back pressure can reduce your engine’s power. Since it’s necessary, you don’t want to completely eliminate it, but reducing it will give you extra power. The better gases are able to escape, the more energy is freed up for other functions—that’s why old or clogged exhaust systems can reduce your engine’s performance.
- Improve your fuel economy: Finally, you can save on fuel when you install an aftermarket exhaust system. Again, it won’t be a huge boost in savings, but it is noticeable enough to make a difference. Another benefit: anytime you use less fuel, you’re also reducing your carbon footprint. The planet (and your wallet) will thank you.
What are my aftermarket options?
Not sure which aftermarket exhaust system is right for you? Here are some options:
- Axle-back: Don’t purchase this system if you’re serious about engine performance and fuel economy. This replaces the components from the rear axle to the muffler.
- Cat-back: A cat-back system replaces everything from the catalytic converter to the muffler, and is the medium performance option.
- Header-back: This exhaust system takes all of your stock components and replaces them with performance parts. If you’re serious about better power, performance, fuel economy and reducing noise, a header-back system is the best choice.
What to consider
Keep in mind that the more stock components you replace, the bigger the price tag will be. When you’re looking for an aftermarket exhaust system, be sure you’re clear on your goals as well as your budget. The only drawback to replacing your exhaust system is how much it costs—for some vehicle owners, the increased price isn’t worth the performance boost, while for others, it’s more than worthwhile.
The best way to determine which custom exhaust system is right for you in Corpus Christi, TX is to talk to an expert. Call Coastal Diesel Injection today to learn more.